Welcome to Pat's Planes!
This site is meant to be a resource to everyone with any level of interest in paper airplanes. For those that are here just for just wanting to learn how to fold some new paper airplane styles to serious students interested in learning the science of flight. Perhaps even someone looking for science fair material for paper airplanes.
As an Aeronautical/Aerospace Engineer I have always been very disappointed in how much information is missing or inaccurate in so many paper airplane books. One of the major reasons to build and fly paper airplanes should be to learn as much as we can about how airplanes work. It is also important to learn methods that allow us to do more ourselves. There is no reason that the average person should not be able to learn the basic design characteristics of paper airplanes to the point of being able to make new paper air plane designs as well as improving old designs. Check out the resources available on this site.
One last goal of this site is to try to keep up with a little history of paper airplanes. We are rapidly losing the generation that were the first few decades of kids who built and flew paper airplanes on the playgrounds around the world. Prior to WWII there was very little sharing of paper airplane designs from one part of the world to the next yet where ever there was paper available kids were making airplanes. If any one would like to share some information on paper airplane history with me (folded or pasted cardboard) please email me using the link below.
This site is broken into six main categories on paper airplanes:
- A complete eBook (.pdf format) on Paper Airplane Science and Design (Just completed in Feb 2017) - Printed in 4 parts; this paper airplane book contains sections on general information about paper airplanes (including history, paper properties, etc), folding instructions for 32 planes, gluing instructions for 16 card stock planes, as well as a scientific study of the basics of flight.
- Folded Paper Airplane Designs - A wide collection of folding instructions for 8 1/2" x 11" paper. Plus a lot of tips for making, adjusting, and decorating paper airplanes. These are designs included in the eBook but are individually down loadable. Note: at this time it is only a small sample of the planes included in the eBook.
- Card Stock Paper Airplane Designs - A collection of cut out and glue up designs for card stock, index stock, or poster board. Again, at this time, only a fraction of what is available in the eBook.
- Software Links - Links to some nice free software packages. These including those used for creation of this site as well as those that can be used for decorating paper airplanes. This page also includes links to some sites belonging to on-line friends. This includes an Aerodynamic Study - Some nice little airfoil tools from NASA.
- Science Fair Projects - A few aids that can help in improving a science fair project.
- Airplane Decor - Help using graphic software to decorate the planes.
Looking for more info on paper airplanes? Check out the following links:
- Paper Folding Tips - New to paper folding? You may find some help here.
- Paper Evaluation - Not all paper is created equal. So what do I need to know?
- Trimming a Paper Airplane - Plane doesn't want to fly well? Don't trash it until you try trimming it out.
- Tips for Designing a Paper Airplane - Want to try to make your own designs? Here are a few tips.
- Parts of a Paper Airplane - Just a little more info for those with a curious mind.
Thank you for checking out this site. Future projects include: Design of larger card stock planes for outdoor flight, instruction videos (yes I am behind the times), and improvement of the science project tips.
Promote Your Page Too
Click Logo to Email Me